Monday, May 20, 2013

Stories from Allen Leigh

Mor Mor was an almost perfect mother-in-law. I was her first son-in-law, but she never interfered in my marriage to her oldest child, Judy. I knew she loved me and was available if I wanted to talk with her, but she let me make the first effort to visit with her. Judy and I lived the first 30+ years of our marriage out of Utah, and Mor Mor and Far Far came to visit us when they could, but they never tried to get us to return to Utah. We did return to Utah in 1993, but it was our decision to return.

One of my favorite stories about Far Far is the time he was working as a carpenter at the Tooele Depot. He and another carpenter were repairing a ramp that was used to launch rockets. All of a sudden they heard a noise at the base of the ramp and realized that a rocket was being launched and in a matter of seconds would be moving up the ramp. They really got off that ramp fast. I don't know how high they were, probably 15-20 feet. Fortunately, they got off the ramp before the rocket reached the spot where they were working.

No comments:

Post a Comment